Monday, February 1, 2010

Review of First Day of Work

What I see on my way home from work
other 1/2 of kitchen
Living room in the morning

Happy Monday--

Man, today was incredibly busy. I got up at around 8:15 and got ready for work. An hour later I headed down to South Capitol St. to commence my work at the DNC. "Training" time lasted about 30 minutes. Then they took me to my desk, gave me a "tutorial" on their computer programs and said, "alright get started!" So after an hour of being in the building, I was let loose to do my job. The first half of the day was brutal. I didn't know how to work the programs, I didn't know how to work the phones that well, and had really no idea what I was doing. I hadn't even had time to read through the intern guide!

So when I finally got free for lunch I was pretty stressed out. It was a fast paced job and it was fairly overwhelming. So I went to Subway, took a breather, and gathered myself for the afternoon.

When I got back I had sometime to prepare for the next possible phone call or assignment. I began to gain some confidence with my duties: the next phone call went better than the last (the first guy hung up on me lol) and I did a good job on my duties. My supervisor even said my notes on the press conference were "perfect"! Then at 4 PM my co-workers and I got called into the conference room for a surprise birthday party for someone in the department! There was cake AND champagne. So I got like a 15 minute break to eat cake, have a solo cup of champagne, and chatted it up with a few of the people in the office. So it was fun and really broke some ice. As the resident "intern" I was asked to lead the happy birthday song, and I of course obliged.

So after that little shindig was over, my day wound down pretty nicely. I came back to the Apartment and plopped down on the couch, feeling quite accomplished. Before I got too comfortable I changed into some workout clothes and went on a jog. Jogging in DC is a pretty awesome experience. I ran by the capitol, supreme court, reflecting pool, and along the mall for a while. It was pretty cold outside but if you cover everything up, you can actually stay pretty toasty.

So now I'm watching "Mythbusters" with a few of my fellow intern-mates. Pretty fun bonding time! Tomorrow I have another day of work and I need to be there around 9:30 A.M. Hopefully it will go by quick, I won't screw upto much, and I'll continue to get better at the job.

Will report back soon

Tim



1 comment:

  1. hey tim-
    don't know if you are aware of this but your blog has made it to the family level. may not be good for you but it works for me since i probably wouldn't have known of your adventure to d.c. until the next time we see each other. but anyway, congrats on the opportunity and keep the blog going in spite of the obvious lack of comments on here. i hear the caps have an awesome organ player if you make your way into the sports scene.
    good luck and watch out for mastodons.... and gilbert arenas
    -brandon

    ReplyDelete