Saturday, February 13, 2010

Start of the Weekend

Hey there,

Well it's Valentine's Day (almost). Tomorrow I think there will be some sort of house party to celebrate it. I'll go, but my Valentine is very far away right now! I hope she's doing well and likes the cards I've sent her!

The past few days have been pretty eventful. I got to go into work on Thursday, which eased the boredom/cooped up feeling. After work I had my Middle Eastern Politics class. Pretty interesting so far...I'm pretty sure I have a lot of reading to do this week for it. Hopefully I can get it done!

So after that the weekend commenced. Went out with my roommate Joe and John--Joe's friend from College who works on the hill. We went out to the "Pour House" a pub and grill on Pennsylvania Avenue. It's in a pretty neat little area--next to some capitol hill bars and restaurants. We met some other interns there...I think they were from the WISH Program. Nice people, a few of them were from Europe. Overall though, it was a nice/chill evening.

The next day (Friday) was very eventful. First, I had my seminar class. We finally got the syllabus and it looks like it's going to be a fun and challenging seminar. We're expected to go to some sort of event, i.e. a protest or hearing, and do a report on it. There are a couple of other projects as well, and the class discussion is pretty interesting. And of course--we go on lots of cool field trips. Yesterday, for example, we all went to the top of the Washington Monument. The views were incredible! Visibility could not have been better and we could all pretty much see the entire city.

After that, a few of my housemates and I went to the "Old Ebbit Grill" which is like the epitome of a historic and classy DC establishment. U.S. Grant was a loyal customer; in fact they have a bar stool dedicated to him. That night Joe, John, and myself met up with my cousin Catherine for her bday bash. We went to this really cool bar in Adams Morgan (a popular night life area) where me met up with some more of her friends. I met another person from Texas who works in her office! She seemed really cool and willing to help me out if I wanted it in the future. Good person to know. Also, the bar we went to was on the same street as many of the bars frequented by the party fiends of Real World D.C. Needless to say, I had a lot of fun and will go back out there when I am able to.

But that wasn't all that happened yesterday; I also had my phone interview with the hiring lady at the the Austin Nature and Science Center. It looks like I've got a really good opportunity to get a job with them. I would work with either 12-17 year olds in the "adventure" camp or 7-8 year olds in the "nature" camp. Adventure camp will involve more intense outdoor activities but the 7-8 year olds will provide me with more funny quotes and less insubordinacy. I've got a tough choice to make. Either way, I'll most likely have to get lifegaurd, cpr, and first aid training. So get ready for a more Bear Grylls like Tim Clark.

In the upcoming days I'll probably try to get out a little bit and read as much as possible for class. I don't have work presidents' day (as if I need a day off) so I'll probably write more soon!


Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment