Friday, February 5, 2010

Week 1

So it's been a few days. Now that I finally have a chunk of free time, I think I'll write a little bit down.

Working at the DNC has been challenging and eventful. I get there around 9:15 everyday and work till 6. It's the busiest job I've ever had, hands down. Even for me, a lowly intern, there are usually three things going on at once. Yesterday, I was calling up different national newspapers to get some contact information. While I was calling them, people were calling me. While I was juggling phone calls, I had to enter in data to the computer.

I think it's been a really interesting job so far though. I get to see the way journalism works from the other end--the end that does their best to manipulate what journalists report on/how they report on it. And it's good insight to how certain aspects of campaigning/organizing go. To be clear--the DNC has lots o' different departments, but I've been placed in Communications. I think I got lucky with that placement. Like I said, it's really busy so I'm always doing something(s). And that means time goes by fast. This week really did blur by.

The highlight of my week was yesterday afternoon. On Wednesday, my supervisor told me that there was a chance I could go to the DNC Fundraiser on Thursday afternoon. My jaw dropped because I knew that President Obama would be speaking and taking questions at that event. Sure enough, as I leave work Wednesday the boss-lady tells me to bring a coat, because Thursday I will be in the same room as the President of the United States.

So Thursday afternoon I went to the fundraiser. There weren't a lot of people hawking you for cash. Hell, I couldn't even tell it was a fundraiser (until I saw that it was $6 for a miller lite). So after walking around and mingling a little bit, I got as close as possible to the stage and waited (along with everybody else) for Obama to come on. After several minutes of nervous anticipation, he finally walked upto the podium.

It was incredible-the man knows how to work an audience. The cool thing about Obama is that he comes across as so personable and friendly. I've admired his rhetorical and oratory ability for a while now, but I never understood how inspiring it could be in person. He delivered a great speech, had some good answers to tough questions, and charmed the freaking pants off of me and everyone in the room. After he was done, he did some handshakes with people. I got about 10 feet from him, and as he was starting to walk off I yelled "Barack!!! Air Five, Air Five!!" He turned around for a split second and put his hand in the air. I put mine up too... I air fived the President of the United States.

Pretty cool huh? And that was only my 4th day of work?!?! Unbelievable! After I did that, I went back to my apartment to catch the last half of my Middle Eastern Politics class. It seems really interesting. Prof. is kinda quirky, but that's no surprise really. After that, myself and all the interns went to the Hawn and Dove Bar. It's been around since 1967, and is really popular with interns and the like. Pretty cool place, I had a lot of fun. Will probably go again soon ish

I would like to go a lot of places this weekend, but I don't think that can happen unfortunately. Why? Snowpocalypse.

It's supposed to snow like 25 inches this weekend. Holy crap. Can it stop being cold soon? I will write more soon, seeing as I will not be able to go outside.

Also, check out some Townes Van Zandt if you can. I can't stop listening, here is a song of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JGc2CvM0EQ&feature=related

''

['/"

No comments:

Post a Comment